Sunday, July 10, 2011

Bill Presents: What I Came Here For

At the risk of turning off everyone here, I present a mix tape comprised of my very favorite genre of music: sad punk songs.

The main thing that first drew me to punk rock circa 1995 is the same thing that has held me in its grasp ever since -- the ability to take depression, pain, and woe and infuse those feelings with energy, passion, and earnestness. To scream your sadness at the top of your lungs. There is no other genre where misery and celebration are indistinguishable.

I attempted to cover a wide swath of what is considered "punk rock," and shied away from including what would be considered ballads or unusual songs for any given artist. For the most part, what you hear from each artist here is more or less indicative of their overall sound. Here's hoping you all find at least something listenable here. If not, my deepest apologies.

1. Crutches - The Copyrights
2. Cutesy Monster Man - Iron Chic
3. Dead By Now - French Exit
4. Starting at the Ending - Banner Pilot
5. The First Eviction Notice - The Lawrence Arms
6. Bordering - The Draft
7. The Last Time - Nothington
8. Single - Bad Astronaut
9. Burned is the House - Alkaline Trio
10. The Bridge - The Loved Ones
11. Wide Open - The Connie Dungs
12. Strangled - Osker
13. Lean On Sheena - The Bouncing Souls
14. 1.21 Gigawatts - The Break
15. Until I Say So - ALL
16. Without You - Teenage Bottlerocket
17. C.G.I.T. - Chixdiggit!
18. Every Night - Even In Blackouts
19. Pretty Pathetic - Smoking Popes
20. I Hope You Know - Off With Their Heads

No comments:

Post a Comment